Monday, April 19, 2010

Back, Bruce, Back! (Or, Where Did I Put That Pie Tin??!!)

This past week-end, we had visitors. Every month, two little girls come to spend the week-end with us. Their names are Kim and Becky and when they were little, I fostered them for a year. Now they are 10 and 8, and ever so much fun. At least I think so. Bruce the rooster may beg to differ. Unless, of course, his version of fun is charging them and snickering behind his wing while they run screaming into the house several times a day.

One of their favorite things to do when they are here is to collect eggs from the hen house. Bruce takes a dim view of egg-nappers, though. Especially when he's not afraid of them. And he is not afraid of Kim and Becky.

I tried to make outside time more enjoyable for the girls...okay, more possible...by empowering them with aluminum pie tins to clang together in hopes that the noise would deter Bruce. I taught them how to stomp towards Bruce, armed with the tins and a bold attitude. I have to admit, it did cut down the running and screaming by quite a bit. Or maybe it was just all drowned out by the incessant clanging. In any case, the kids got to play outside, and Bruce was left unharmed, except for an odd little twitchy thing he is now doing with his head. It's okay. I'm sure a few days of pastoral peace and quiet will restore his nerves.

It always works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment