Monday, April 12, 2010

Bring on the HovaBator

Is it just me, or is HovaBator a really cool word?

The HovaBator is the incubator that I ordered for my chicken eggs. This thing is fully loaded, complete with thermometer, snap action thermostat and easy-to-clean sanitary liner. It has two 5" x 4" viewing windows and moisture rings built into the liner. It fits both chicken and quail sized eggs, has an automatic egg turner and is even dishwasher safe! Does that mean it'll survive a turn through the sink with Gracie? Because I know of several wine glasses that were also supposed to be dishwasher safe that are, sadly, no longer with us. But I digress.

I think it's probably a pretty standard model as far as incubators go, but with a name like The HovaBator, it's got to be special. I confess that in my mind, every time I read the words The HovaBator, I hear them being bellowed by a monster truck rally announcer over a stadium sound system.

I am very excited about this blog. It did occur to me, though, that while my heart's desire was to chronicle the progression my eggs will go through, from breakfast food to fluffy chicks, the process mostly involves waiting. Three weeks of waiting while my eggs sit in The HovaBator, with six automatic turns a day and all the heat and moisture that they'll need. So, what does one write about while watching eggs sit in The HovaBator for three weeks?
Will there be other stories? Will the chickens currently scratching around on the front lawn provide adequate antics for three weeks of waiting? Will Pippin the bunny and Bruce the rooster come face to face in an epic battle for supremacy? (Okay, that entire last sentence was in monster truck announcer guy mode)

We'll just have to wait and see, now, won't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment