Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The final tally

I was kindly reminded yesterday that it had been a few days since I have updated. Thanks, Howard. :) We were up until 2:30 am on Sunday morning, and then Sunday was a huge day and so yesterday I basically crashed. In the sun with a book and the critters. Lovely day.

The hatching was pretty much finished on Saturday night. After several efforts to count the fuzzy little bundles in the pen, we think we may have 20 chicks. If they'd stop moving for a minute, we'd know for sure.

We were initially told to put twice as many eggs in the incubator as we wanted to hatch, because we'd lose half of them, which is pretty much what happened. About six of the chicks died in the process of hatching, one died shortly after, one died a day later and the rest of the eggs didn't hatch, either because they died somewhere in the midst of the development or because they were never fertilized.

The saddest thing was watching the chicks that had been trying to hatch all day grow weak and then die. We knew that we shouldn't help them out, and that was tough. In fact, late Saturday afternoon I was watching one that had been trying to hatch, and I did reach in and flick a bit of shell off for her. Later, Marc was watching her, and he confessed to me that he had helped her, too. She did eventually get out, but she was the one who died shortly after her birth. If they don't have the strength to get out of the egg, they won't be able to survive life outside the egg. Poor little things. We were disappointed that only one of the Americauna chicks hatched. She's a beauty, though. I say she because there is no way I can tell what sex they are yet, so I am alternating between he and she. I think we are going to try to get a few more Americauna eggs to hatch later.

After they had dried in the incubator, we popped them into the pen. Marc had made a plastic dome out of half a barrel, and threaded the heat lamp through it. He propped it up on bricks and the temperature in the dome is perfect for them. They can linger around the edge of it if it gets too warm for them, or go inside right under the heat light if it gets cool in the room. They started popping around almost immediately. They were like little Weebles, running around, wobbling and falling over and popping back up. They cheep incessantly, but usually it's a soft noise and not intrusive at all. Sometimes there's a bit of a tussle between a couple of the chicks and their voices will raise as they tell each other off, but nothing lasts too long.

Mini is interested in them, and peers over the top of the pen occasionally, especially when the cheeping is loud and they sound distressed. The kittens are also interested, but they can't get into the pen. They can hear the cheeping and pecking and think, "Play toys!!!"

I've been taking pictures,and will try to upload some to my Photobucket account and post links. I'm in a bladder flare, and am not feeling great, so I think today might be another crash day. I feel like I am wasting the sunny warm weather, but there no rule saying I can't crash outside, right?!

I've really enjoyed this whole experience, even if the hatching did happen on the busiest week-end we've had in ages. It was so exciting, and the babies are adorable. Now, the adventure of watching them grow begins. They already have wing feathers coming. I think, like all babies, this stage will pass quickly.

I wonder what teen-age chickens are like?

Yikes. ;)

3 comments:

  1. anxious to see pictures, sorry you are not feeling well, sunshine and rest couldn't hurt.
    You just gave birth to 20 chickens, you deserve a day off!

    @/aka Aunt Gina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this blog! You came up on my blog on the blogupp icon! Thought i'd check it out! I'm into chickens too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lavendardreams, I'm sorry I missed your comment! Thanks so much! Can't wait to check out your blog. :)

    ReplyDelete