Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tomorrow is hatching day!

Tomorrow Marc and I are going to become parents! Apparently the whole hatching thing is pretty precise, which means that it should start sometime tomorrow afternoon and finish sometime tomorrow night. We have decided to put the incubator in the middle of the kitchen table, to facilitate the compulsive checking that we will be doing. After all, there's no point in fooling ourselves. We will be hovering over those eggs in manic anticipation all day, like Cruella Devil over a litter of dalmatians. Only with better intentions. Well, except for the roosters. Oh, let's not go there now.

Marc built a feeder for the chicks on principle, after going to the local pet store and and recoiling at the thought of paying $25 for one. He also built a plastic dome to go over their little pen. He did buy a heat lamp bulb, because even he can't create one of those, no matter how much duct tape and barbed wire he uses.

It occurred to me last night, what if only one hatches? Anyone wanna bet that one chick will become an ultra spoiled rotten diva of the chicken world? More than the hens we already have, I mean. And Marc bought a 80 kilo bag of chick starter. Whoever comes, I hope they're hungry!

I am quite excited. I probably don't need to write that, it being obvious, but I think repeating myself is a symptom of extreme excitement.

Have I mentioned how excited I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment