Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Two more days to Hatch day!!

Two more days to hatch day! Awk! I am getting excited, and a little nervous. What if none of them hatch? What if they're all male? What if they all hatch?? What if, what if, what if...I wonder if hens go through all of this when they are sitting on eggs. Probably not. I am literally being out-serenity'd by a chicken. Sigh.

Marc is busy building a chick nursery. I think he's pretty much McGyvering it, but he's a genius at stuff like this, so I trust him completely. Sort of. ;)

The kittens are doing well. They are growing at an amazing rate. They have this obsession with drinking out of the dog's water bucket instead of their own smaller dish, and as the weeks past they have gone from having to stand on their tippy toes in order to reach the water when the bucket is full to being able to drink from it when it is only at half mast. They spend most of their days wrestling. As they get older, their wrestling moves have come to include full body slams as well as throwing each other off of various surfaces. They have just started going upstairs, so it won't be long before they start tossing each other down the stairs for fun. At least they are evenly matched, in size and strength as well as propensity for evil.

The chickens are also thriving. The antibiotics seem to work, as there is now no sneezing or sniffling in the coop when I go in at night to close the door. Just soft snoring. I love seeing them on the front lawn, or in the fields scratching for worms. They look very peaceful and pastoral. Especially now that Bruce the rooster has stopped with the attacks. The other night the light was left on in the porch and the next morning there were at least 10 June bugs lying on the porch floor. I picked them up and flicked them out to the chickens. Apparently June bugs are the equivalent of Scooby snax to chickens. And no, I didn't feel guilty. Years ago, I somehow got a June bug stuck up under my hair during the last 30 seconds of a Canadians play-off game, and my husband at the time, Grace's dad, suggested that I wait until the game was over before he responded to my hysterical screams of "Get it out! Get it out! GET IT OUT!!!!" Since the Bible says I have to forgive my husband, I've been taking it out on June bugs ever since. Beasts. But the chickens love them.

No comments:

Post a Comment